I've been somewhat absorbed in the true stories of ancestors or likely-ancestors, since my lineage is not really clear, and in that sense, there is infinite work to do. The more you learn, the more there is to learn.
But writing non-fiction is a lot different from writing fiction, and I'll be the first to admit that I have a lot to learn in that sense too. I very quickly published two non-fiction accounts of early ancestors, Puritan Leveretts and 18th Century Leveretts; the first sold a few copies, as everyone is into Puritans even now, but the second sold almost zip. I was looking at my own copies and was horrified that I hadn't really been all that careful. In one, I misspelled the name of a relative, Erwin Otis, and in another, I had actually printed "Forward" instead of "Foreword." The very first word, misspelled! Careful spell-check found a few other errors as well.
I have always done my own copy editing, as I haven't found enough people to go through the with fine-tooth comb, so to speak. But during the pandemic I've had extra trouble. I've actually found more to write about, but I have less patience for going over the language. And as a result, I've actually published books with errors like the above.
It is my solemn vow to reform myself, and clean up my act.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment