Thursday, November 10, 2022

train yard blues

My chronic checking on certain Facebook sites has become comical, or at least I see some irony in it, as I've checked my favorite one maybe three times in the last half hour, and it's stuck at two books (How to Control your Alcohol Consumption and I'll Need You Forever) which I've already read.

Aware that what this means is that I need a new obsession, or at least something to get my mind off this what-we-call loop. I think I found it - Amazon ads. I'm getting a little better at doing them but what I really need is just the confidence to blow some real money getting people to click on my books. No money, no clicks, no clicks, back to the train sites.

On the train sites, I'm not totally confident that I've found every train on every site. It may be that I should cast a wider net, find a few more trains, and visit those more regularly. As it is, there are about eight that I visit every few hours; eight fill up my search window when I open it, so I see all eight, and if I just keep clicking on them in turn, I visit each one obsessively and believe me, mostly they aren't going anywhere. I'm just clicking away touring a dead situation. It makes me want to start my own site.

I've found the (Read Only) site the most fun, if only because it gets lively and when it gets going it really gets going. It's good to have a train carefully controlled too (thanks to the Mod here), and know that you can complain to someone if you don't get what you came for. I got stiffed by this one guy - I know him, yet he still failed to read my book - and I live in aggravation when I feel like I've paid for it with my blood and haven't got anything in return. Now sometimes, my book is read at an off time or a different one is read than I bargained for. OK. I should be able to handle a little uncertainty. But overall I want to feel like I got what I paid for.

Back to the grind, to the mill. I must say, my pagereads have gone up a little, and that's good. At the miserly rate they pay us for, it doesn't amount to much, but it's something, and I'll take it. Chou, and good day.

No comments: