I had a minor success at the library's local author fair. Really it has more to do with my image of myself as an author than sales. In sales, I sold three and traded three; I'll take my $24 bucks and plow it back into the business one way or the other.
I got all thirty books out there this time, all on the table at once. That alone was a kind of organizational miracle. Of course I had been planning for it as last year there were some key ones I didn't have. This time I had them all. And though I had to put some beneath others, it was good knowing they were there and being able to see them all out.
There were a lot of people who didn't really want to visit much; they kind of tolerated what I had to say, but in the end they were all about moving on. Perhaps they had bought one earlier (I was not the first author for anyone; being virtually in the middle, almost everyone had talked to at least three or four authors before me). Maybe I should rethink my placement next year, as I might have done better with better placement. I sold two of the crime stories book, which leads me to believe that people looking to Christmas shop for others are basically looking for something quick, easy, light, pleasurable. They were buying gifts. Sometimes they were having them wrapped.
As I sat there, my thirty books splayed out in front of me, I had time to reflect on my act - what I brought to the fair, the way I presented myself. Some authors did better than me that way. They had little metal book-holding shelves, or cards, or little laminated things that presented their press. One had put my review on her bookmark, and I took that bookmark as a souvenir. Lots were giving away candy. I had no freebies, no cards, no nothing. A plan, I told everyone: I have a plan to make this better for next year.
If charm could have won people over, I still would have sold only a half-dozen; there just weren't that many people there. As it was I was lucky to sell three. And I no longer have much charm. What I have is eagerness to talk about all the work I've done. But people don't care about that.
In a way, I was representing Galesburg. We had a dozen authors; we were there; we sold books. Galesburg has a writing scene; we were it. I am basking in the glow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment