Another Authors' Fair has come and gone, and I thought I'd write down a little of what I'd learned.
I have an old friend, N.R., who joined me for my third one and we sat and talked a lot. She has three or four books but I really like them because they deal with Alaska. She also has a different perspective on marketing.
It was a somewhat slow day; it seemed like all of us (about 14) were competing for the same two or three people at any given time. Sales were slow. There was no sign at the front of the (brand-new) library and apparently they didn't get the word out very well.
It's the only time in the year that I get all my books out so I thought I'd photograph them just as a kind of record. They are impressive and pop art is part of the picture. I have a unique brand and I can now see it coming through on a wide variety of titles. It was time, upon viewing all 28, to make specific goals of which covers I wanted to redo; there are quite a few.
I got a collection of bookmarks, some laminated, and got to ruminate on what exactly makes the best bookmark. Who knows? Mine is already improved but still embarrassing by the standards of most of the ones I picked up. How much deviation is there from the standard size? Does lamination improve a bookmark? How many people actually use bookmarks?
N.R. and I talked about other fairs, other goals. One of my goals is Prairie Lights in Iowa City. But it may encompass making a new cover and a new campaign for my novel Tall Corn State. I am going up to Iowa City on Jan. 6 so that may be my opportunity to push the issue. Put it on the list of goals.
At Christmas time I offer all my family and close friends a free book. I may do that again. It's time to reflect on a year's work, take a little break, start fresh...






No comments:
Post a Comment