Wednesday, July 15, 2026

read marketing

In a funk, I've done a lot more read marketing. It's a painfully slow way to get readers as essentially they read in return for your reading and they'll only read as fast as you read, roughly a hundred some pages a day. it's obviously better than nothing but getting used to nothing is not an option and besides, it's ninety-two days this week and i'm trying hard to resist going anywhere or doing anything outside.

So now I have six books open, count 'em, six, and when one gets to be too much, I switch. I define too much loosely. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for a certain style. But if there are six, there's usually one that will 'take,' meaning I actually read, and actually enjoy and get pleasure from. One of the advantages of read marketing is that you read lots of things you otehrwise wouldn't, and, you learn a lot of different things, in essence traveling from place to place in your free time.

One of them is a modernist rant about life in England. I actually like this author though i often don't get where he's going with something or what kind of plot line we have. No plot line. Or rather, like life, hundreds of plot lines and don't expect him to explain or make sense of them. But the other book is about a woman cracking up. A reasonably intelligent woman losing track of what's real - this cuts a little too close to home. I was married to a woman like that. And these two books are on sites that I value - they move along, they provide readers, things happen.

A recent trend is that I've become popular with Indian writers. The feeling is mutual - I like their work too - which means we are all reading each other's work a lot. A problem is that while you get about a half a penny a page for American readers, you get less than a tenth of a penny for Indian ones, which means they can read a whole two-hundred page novel of yours and you only get maybe seventeen cents. This I think would turn the users of these pages against them, but I try to take a wider view, not being entirely economically dependent on these measly pennies.

Here are some reasons why it could be like this; I admit I'm not sure and haven't done my research. Your pay is simply a distribution of the funds that amazon.co.in takes in to the total number of pages read in kindle unlimited. What seems to be happening is that amazon.co.in is taking in a lot less money on kindle unlimited than the other amazons. This could be because they're charging a lot less for it; here it's about twelve bucks a moonth and they're getting plenty of business. But it also could be that culturally they share their kindle unlimiteds more than we do. So for example a mother gets ku and of the ten books she's downloaded, one is for her husband, some are for her kids, some are for neighbors, and everyone is actively reading and actively keeping track, on various devices, so that hundreds of pages are being read on that one account every day. This could be happening here, but obviously isn't, as much. At times even my wife and I had different ku's, she didn't want to cross with my system. I've offered my son my ku too as he's an avid reader, but he also prefers to use his own system. It could therefore be because of a different cultural setup.

It's interesting to me the general fluency of the English-writing community in India and how this general fluency exists along with various cultural differences. It's wild to me that I'm popular with these writers as they seem to be curious about the world and possibly favor my traditionalist grammar as being more similar to what they grew up reading.

It's an interesting world and slowly, I'm learning my way.

No comments: