As a former ESL teacher, I know my grammar pretty well, and have done enough proofreading that I don't want to pay someone else to do it. I also want to be 100% indie, so I've decided that as hard as it is to proofread my own book, I'll do it several times if I have to, and that's what I'm doing.
I've been horrified to find typos in my most recent book, which I thought I had proofread pretty thoroughly. It leads me to wonder if perhaps I coomined the wrong files when I put it together.
But my attitude has changed considerably on typos. As a matter of pride, I used to hate it whan anything of mine that was published had even a typo in it. I'd change it and republish as soon as I possibly could. But AI has changed the way I look at it.
If AI would never allow a typo, then a typo is the mark that a human wrote it. But if you think about it, even typos that are corrected in later editions are marks that a human wrote it. That's my proof. If you think AI did my book because it has good grammar and no typos, you're wrong and I can prove it.
Also, I'm well aware that the vast majority of people just fly over them as they are reading. You tend to correct things and make sense of them naturally. Now bad grammar, especially repeated bad grammar (clearly not a typo) still irritates me. But that's not what we're talking about here.
In this age of AI, I fly my typos proudly. I will correct most if not all of them, just out of pride. But if there are a few in there, I'm not going to worry about it anymore.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment