Monday, May 18, 2026

So I published a book the other night and I'm still traumatized by the experience. Writing about it will help me process it. Actually it seemed to come out ok and I will show you now, first time in public, before I start publicizing it seriously.

Beasts of Ayutthaya: Three retellings of Beauty and the Beast

It's real; it's good; it's 300 pages depending on how you count. Some of this is confusing to me. Again, maybe writing about it will help.

The book is basically a combination of three books that have already been published: Be Our Guest, White Elephant, and The Halberd. Each of the three stands alone ok but together they work better. I was basically taking this large file and trying to put it in a 5.8 X 8.5 format which seemed to be more common in the Global Beasts series.

You may be questioning my assumptions already, and I am too. How many are 5.8 X. 8.5 (as opposed to 6 X 9, which I'm more used to)? Do others face these struggles? I downloaded a 5.8 X 8.5 template and put my book into it. I prepared two covers (kindle and paperback) and uploaded the kindle version fairly easily, no problem. Doing the paperback it rejected my document, words outside their little margin. I could see that the header that appears on the top of every page was indeed over their margin, and the page number was right on that margin. So I eliminated the header, but could not seem to eliminate the page numbers.

I tried shrinking the margins of the original document. Finally I figured out how to move the page numbers up toward the document so they'd be inside that margin. I had a simple t of c which listed only the three parts. At first I had just taken page no's out of there so that t of c was useless. Changing margins I was making my little production very thick. Finally it worked and this morning I restored the t of c and made it as good as I could. Now I'm totally tired and I'm losing one key on my little computer here so I'll sign off. - perhaps to restart on a computer that is clunkier, however at least has its keys. aaach!!

No comments: